Printed from: VISUAL FLIGHT FORUMS
Topic URL: http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9138
Printed on: 25 Apr 2024

Topic:

Topic author: OleBoy
Subject: Having trouble, please assist
Posted on: 05 Nov 2010 18:34:47
Hello,

I just registered here in hopes of a resolution to my trouble. A little info for whoever needs it.

A few years back I had a friend who was a flight simmer. He got me interested, and hooked. That wasn't too hard for him to do as I was already a radio control pilot of 12 years and I was looking for another method to enjoy during the winter months. Upon several visits to Troys house I experienced FS2004, and was enjoying it. I bought ACOF and acquired a joy stick from Troy. Tray had been into flight simming for a few years and had many disks for both freeware and payware goodies.

To continue, Troy got me up and running. I was hooked. And enjoyed it.
...About 3 months later Troy called me and said he gave up the flight simulator, and that he'd uninstalled it to go back to gaming. He told me that he'd sent everything related for software and addons and I should receive them soon. I was disappointed, but I guess he did what he wanted.

Anyway, I have recently been going through the disks to see what was contained. I have been wanting to create some sceneries in my area. I saw a file that called UKVFRLibrary. So I clicked on it. It seemed to be an installer for some addon. So, I went through the install process. All seemed fine and installation went smoothly.

Here's the clincher. I don't have any UK or VFR scenery!!

Here's what the read doc states:

Never will I do something like this again (well, no guarantees..lol) I was browsing some disks I have and found a file called UKVFRLibrary, so I opened it to see what was inside. I found an installer and a text file that reads

KVFR Library Installer
-----------------------

Run UKVFRLibrary.exe and follow the prompts.

This will place four files in the main FS9 folder:

UKVFR_README_FIRST.txt
UKVFR_README_FIRST.doc
UKVFR Controller.exe
UKVFRInstallPart2.exe **** Important, see below ****

Shortcuts will be placed in Start Menu/Programs/UKVFR Library and on the desktop to:

UKVFR_README_FIRST.txt
UKVFR_README_FIRST.doc
UKVFR Controller.exe

UKVFR_README_FIRST.txt/README_FIRST.doc explain how to operate the UKVFR Library Controller.

The UKVFR Controller allows the user to:

1. Install the UKVFR Library into FS9.

2. Switch between the UKVFR Library and your currently installed autogen without uninstalling the UKVFR Library.

3. Uninstall the UKVFR Library completely and restore your original files.

4. Switch between splash screens.

5. Link to the VFR Addons and AGenT web sites.

To run the controller, select Start/Programs/UKVFR Library/UKVFR Controller or double click on the desktop icon "UKVFR Controller"

************************************************** ****************************************

UKVFRInstallPart2.exe is used by UKVFR Library Installer.exe during the install operation.

It should NEVER be run by the user. OOPS...I RAN THIS!!

************************************************** ****************************************

So, I started it up. It appeared to be an installer for scenery objects, or something to that affect. I followed the on screen prompts and installed it. Well, I had no clue what it installed. So I fired up the flight sim and went to see. I saw nothing but errors right from the start. Now I have to figure out how to uninstall this mess. It looks like my trouble comes from the bold red areas above.

YES I'M AN IDIOT

Please tell me how to remove the UKVFR Library from the Library settings so I can delete these files

Thanks
OleBoy

PS- the thread of relevance is at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=45225&p=503639#post503639

Replies:

Reply author: emfrat
Replied on: 05 Nov 2010 21:22:02
On your Desktop you should have a shortcut icon called UKVFR Library Controller. DO NOT start FS first - just start the controller by doubleclicking the icon. You should then see the screen described on page4 of the readme. Follow the instructions.
If you get the screen shown on page9, you should be able to use the Uninstall button.
Without seeing the error messages, I can only guess, but I expect you are seeing "Scenery Layer xxx not found..." etc. That happens when FS9 tries to follow the instructions in scenery.cfg and the files being called are either not there at all, or not where the cfg file says they are.
The Library Controller simply runs a small programme to backup, rename and restore various files, depending on which mode you are changing to/from.
As a first step, just doubleclick the controller icon and let us know what you see.
ATB
MikeW

Reply author: OleBoy
Replied on: 05 Nov 2010 22:08:11
quote:
Originally posted by emfrat

On your Desktop you should have a shortcut icon called UKVFR Library Controller. DO NOT start FS first - just start the controller by doubleclicking the icon. You should then see the screen described on page4 of the readme. Follow the instructions.
If you get the screen shown on page9, you should be able to use the Uninstall button.
Without seeing the error messages, I can only guess, but I expect you are seeing "Scenery Layer xxx not found..." etc. That happens when FS9 tries to follow the instructions in scenery.cfg and the files being called are either not there at all, or not where the cfg file says they are.
The Library Controller simply runs a small programme to backup, rename and restore various files, depending on which mode you are changing to/from.
As a first step, just doubleclick the controller icon and let us know what you see.
ATB
MikeW

Hello Mike. Thank you for your assistance.

I have done what you've said to do. The UKVFR Library Controller has apparently uninstalled it and set it back to default (see screenshot)

Although this is not the problem. The problem lies in the scenery library where it is there as a layer. I am unable to de-activate it, or delete it.
...I did as the instructions said to do, and reverted back to the original scenery.cfg. But, the library layer is still there. I cannot de-activate and/or delete the layer from the library no matter what I try. I am baffled. I've never had something like this happen.

Awaiting your guidance...
OleBoy

Replied on: 06 Nov 2010 02:16:26
OK - that is the page 4 screen
Your first move was to run the UKVFRLibrary.exe
Doing that unpacks all the files, puts the Controller on your desktop
plus two versions of the readme - in .doc and .txt
So now you call up the Library Controller, and there is an Install button to let you complete the install. When you click that, the Library Controller will run installpart2, switch your FS to VFR, and start it.
You have a fly around and exit FS.
Next time you open the controller you get the page 9 screen. It has different buttons. Instead of Install, you have To Default (because your FS is now set to VFR) and instead of Help you have Cancel - ie leave FS set to VFR. If you click To Default, the controller does its thing and your FS returns to the default scenery. Naturally, after doing that, when you next open the controller it will offer you To VFR.
When you ran part2 yourself, instead of using the controller to do it, the scenery objects were probably installed but the preliminary work which the controller does did not happen. So the scenery config was calling the wrong files.
I don't know how the installer part2 will react if it finds the files already there. It may simply overwrite without question, or it might want you to confirm the overwrite manually. I would be very surprised if it crashed.
So, open the controller again, take a deep breath, and click Install.
If that doesn't do the trick, you will need to remove the scenery object files loaded by part2 which will be very tedious.
We'll jump that one when we come to it.
ATB
MikeW

Replied on: 06 Nov 2010 02:40:23
Mike,

With your guidance I did what you said. It worked, and is now no longer in the library layers.
....As for the remainder of the files, a manual removal to delete all traces and I should be alright again?

Replied on: 06 Nov 2010 15:07:29
Dammit, I just typed a reply and I musta pushed the wrong button

I'll try to remember what I wrote...
You are now at the same stage you were after you ran the UKVFRLibrary.exe - the files are ready for use in their own folder in FS9\Addon Scenery, but FS is completely unaware of them. They are not doing any harm where they are.
Before you remove anything, make sure your FS9 starts up normally and runs. (It really can't do anything else, since the VFR stuff has been removed from the FS9 Scenery Library, but there might be some stray references still in the scenery.cfg file).
If that turns out to be the case, first rename the current Scenery.cfg to DudVFRScenery.cfg and then rename PreUKVFRScenery.cfg to Scenery.cfg, as described on page 4

ATB
MikeW

Replied on: 06 Nov 2010 23:51:03
ROFL

Hi again Mike. I feel your pain and have done the very same thing.

FS9 starts up ok aside from one strange thing. At first click of the FS9 shortcut, the loading screen (about 4"x5") starts out as being black.
...I'm going to assume it has to do with one or both of these named files as I was getting errors when this whole mess started from them

These are the names
dlgstd.bmp
dlgstdtrans.bmp

My thought is that I can get these two files and it will correct the problem. I hope.

Thanks Mike

Don

Reply author: ananda
Replied on: 07 Nov 2010 08:45:09
Hi Don,

The FS9 files modified by the installer are:

FS9\Autogen\default.xml

FS9\Effects\fx_waves.fx

FS9\Effects\Texture\fx_swoosh.bmp
FS9\Effects\Texture\fx_swoosh2.bmp
FS9\Effects\Texture\fx_swoosh3.bmp

FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\ag_Rural.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\ag_Rural_LM.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\ag_Urban.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\ag_Urban_lm.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\elevator01.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\elevator01_lm.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\gen_powertower01.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\gen_powertower01_LM.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\Medium_Fuel_Station.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Generic\Texture\Medium_Fuel_Station_LM.bmp

FS9\Scenery\Texture\BLDA2.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Texture\BLDA2LM.BMP
FS9\Scenery\Texture\BLDA3.BMP
FS9\Scenery\Texture\BLDA3LM.BMP
FS9\Scenery\Texture\halo.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Texture\treesFA.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Texture\treesSP.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Texture\treesSU.bmp

FS9\Scenery\Uires\dlgsplash.bmp
FS9\Scenery\Uires\dlgstd.bmp

None of them are critical.

If you are confident with editing files, you can change the scenery.cfg to allow you to delete the UKVFR LIBRARY entries via Settings/Scenery Library.

First, take a copy of Scenery.cfg. Then, open with Notepad, scroll down to the UKVFR LIBRARY entries and change

"Required=TRUE" to
"Required=FALSE".

Exit and save and the next time you run FS9 you will be able to delete the areas via Settings/Scenery Library.

George

Replied on: 07 Nov 2010 16:20:28
Thanks George. Much appreciated sir.

Mike, I sincerely thank you for all your assistance. Without it, I would have likely resorted to a reinstall.
....All is back to normal and I am happy of the outcome.

I think I'll be deleting that file so this never happens again

Thank you sir

OleBoy

VISUAL FLIGHT FORUMS : http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/

© 2002-2017 Visual Flight and contributors

Close Window